Dear Motherlode Bicycle Coalition Members and Partners,
The Motherlode Bicycle Coalition was founded in 2017 by local bike advocates and avid cyclists. To date, our work has focused on making our Central Sierra communities more bike friendly,and welcoming destinations for all types of bike adventures.
This summer the Motherlode Bicycle Coalition Founding Board members, Nikki Grimes, Carol Ryder, and Carl Baker retired as Board Members. Founding Members Rob WIlliams, Robert Leibold, Dwight Follen and Jack Becker remain on the board as integral parts of its success.
We’re pleased to introduce six new additions to the MLBC Board:MLBC’s new officers are Chairperson Todd Berg, Secretary Ben Cook, and Treasurer Siobhán Hayes. And we’ve added new at-large Board Members Mark Schwartz, Timothy England, and April Johnson, representing Alpine, Tuolumne, and Calaveras County, respectively.
Featured Board Members
Todd Berg, equally at home on bike, board, or rock, is a lifelong outdoorsman and champion for the Motherlode area’s outdoor economy. Todd’s career includes leadership roles in the outdoor industry, projectmanagement, and non-profit organizations. As Chairperson of MLBC, Todd is focusing his leadership experience on building coalitions of partner organizations advocating for inclusive outdoor access, and creating opportunities for mutual uplift around a thriving outdoor economy in the Motherlode area.
Mark Schwartz was born and raised in San Jose and moved to Markleeville with his wife Patricia in 2016. While Mark’s day job is Director of Business Development for a California-based tech company, his real job is Board President of the Alpine Chamber of Commerce which owns and operates the Death Ride. When he’s not organizing bike events, you can find Mark riding bikes (road mostly, but gravel and MTB, too), hiking/snowshoeing, and volunteering on various other boards in the Alpine Co. area. To learn more about Mark check out his blog at www.californiaalpscycling.bike.
April Johnson is an avid dirt rider, supermom, and proprietor of Mountain Aloha MTB Co. in Avery. Outside of the bike shop she and her husband run, April volunteers her time supporting cycling events and advocating for better trails in the Motherlode. April is MLBC’s Director of Marketing in charge of maintaining our online presence including our website and social media outlets.
Presently, our Board represents a broad spectrum of cycling interests – from road to gravel to trails and beyond. Board Members are passionate about a range of initiatives from getting local kids on bikes and engaged in positive activities, to breaking down barriers to cycling so anyone regardless of age, identity, or economic status can safely ride for fun or transportation in any of the places we call home.
Founding Member Rob Williams’s new role is Director of Special Events. And Rob and Carl continue their advocacy work of representing the Motherlode cycling community at the local and state government levels. Jack Becker continues his dedicated work as our Executive Director.
Be sure to check our website for photos and bios for all of our new and continuing Board Members (motherlodebike.org).
The Motherlode Bicycle Coalition remains a Project of the California Bicycle Coalition (CalBike.org); and we’re looking forward to continuing our work with CalBike in the New Year.Dave Synder, former CalBike Executive Director, has taken a new role as Senior Director of Local Innovation at PeopleForBikes, a national cycling advocacy organization. Congrats Dave!
Vision, Mission, and Strategies
We’ve been holding visioning meetings over the past year to develop a new Mission and set of near-term Strategies for how MLBC will realize our Vision of a vibrant cycling community centered around a safer, more accessible network of cycling opportunities in the Motherlode area. Keep an eye out for MLBC’s new Mission and Strategies in the weeks to come. We can’t wait to get to work with the Motherlode’s diverse community of cyclists and partners towards making our collective cycling dreams a reality.
• Helped establish the Caltrans District 10 Bike Pedestrian Advisory Committee. We currently have three MLBC Board Members serving on the BPAC.
• Submitted Caltrans and county road maintenance requests on Murphys Grade, Highway 4, and along Highway 108.
• Supported the CalBike Cycling Tourism Study to improve and encourage recreational biking in the Motherlode and are the owners of the Bike Riding Tourism website. https://www.bikevalleytosierra.com/about
• Managed the Calaveras County Arts Council RideandWalk4Art
• Managed the Fenney Park Mr, Frogs Wild Ride
• Served as Host of the Lake Alpine Death Ride Stop
• Sponsored the Feeney Park Grape Stomp Bike Valet
• Sponsored the Tuolumne County Bikes for Tykes Project
• Presented Bike Access Plans to the Camanche Recreation Coast to Crest Trail and EBMUD Pipeline Trail
• Reschedule Monthly Pop up Bike Rides led by MLBC Board Members featuring our favorite Gold Rush rides.
• Hold youth bikes rodeos in the Motherlode
• Hold Walk, Bike, and Roll to School Days
• Build Bikes for Tykes During Holidays
• Take an active role in supporting the California Bicycle Coalition 2023 Advocacy Agenda.
• Promote the Cycling Tourism Study at the local and regional levels to improve and encourage recreational cycling opportunities in the Motherlode: bikevalleytosierra.com
• Work closely with the Alpine County Chamber of Commerce to support next year’s Death Ride – Tour of the California Alps
Come ride with us! Become a MLBC Member
With your energy, experience, and membership, we can work together to:
• Build bicycle-friendly communities
• Break down barriers to cycling
• Improve air quality and public health
• Educate cyclists and motorists on sharing the road
• Promote bike rides and routes in the Motherlode and Eastern Sierra
• Organize more bicycle events to promote cycling, increase public awareness, and have fun.
• Promote safe riding in the California Foothills and the Sierra in 2023
Facebook: Motherlode Bicycle Coalition
Strava Club: Motherlode Bicycle Coalition
CalTrans District 10 BPAC: https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-10/district-10-programs/district-10-bpac
Leave a Reply